Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Childhood Poems

I would like to share some of the poems I grew up with that had a part in my love for writing poetry. The biggest credit I give to my mother who instilled in me the love of reading.
These poems are from the book 'Favorite Poems Old And New' A selection of children's poetry by Helen Ferris

Algy met a bear,
The bear was bulgy,
The bulge was Algy.

There was a young lady of Niger
Who smiled as she rode on a tiger;
They returned from the ride
With the lady inside,
And the smile on the face of the tiger.

I guess these wouldn't make it into today's kinder, gentler fairy tales!

I saved my favorite for last!

Eletelephony
by Laura E. Richards

Once there was an elephant,
Who tried to use the telephant-
No, no I mean an elephone
Who tried to use the telephone-
(Dear me I am not certain quite
That even now I've got it right.)

How e'er it was, he got his trunk
Entangled in the telephunk;
The more he tried to get it free,
The louder buzzed the telephee-
(I fear I'd better drop the song
Of elephop and telephong!)

1 comment:

  1. That means so much to a child! I can remember my childhood too - it wasn't all media - books were the thing!

    ReplyDelete